Dissimilarity representation course material
Here the material is collected useful for a course on the dissimilarity representation.
- W.R. Lee, V. Cheplygina, D.M.J. Tax, M. Loog, and R.P.W. Duin, Bridging Structure and Feature Representations in Graph Matching, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 26, no. 5, 2012. [pdf]
- R.P.W. Duin and E. Pekalska, The dissimilarity space: Bridging structural and statistical pattern recognition, Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 33, no. 7, 2012, 826-832.[pdf]
- R.P.W. Duin and E. Pekalska, The dissimilarity representation for structural pattern recognition, in: Cr San Mart Sang-Woon Kim (eds.), Proc. CIARP 2011, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 7042, Springer, 2011, 1-24. [pdf]
- R.P.W. Duin, Non- Euclidean Problems in Pattern Recognition Related to Human Expert Knowledge, in: J. Filipe, J. Cordeiro (eds.), Enterprise Information Systems, Revised Selected Papers ICEIS 2010, Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, vol. 73, Springer, 2011, 15-28. [pdf]
- E. Pekalska and R.P.W. Duin, Beyond traditional kernels: classification in two dissimilarity-based representation spaces, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man Cybernetics, vol. 38, no. 6, 2008, 729-744. [pdf]
The blog on this website discusses various issues on pattern recognition and the dissimilarity representation in some logical order. It starts with some philosophical issues on 3 September 2012. From 22 October 2012 regularly topics related to this course are discussed.
The Matlab DisTools package, designed on top of PRTools contains a set of tools focusing on the handling of dissimilarity data. It went through several stages during research. In the SIMBAD project of the EC a condensed, somewhat coherent version has been developed. A further upgraded version is used here..
For the examples the following items should be downloaded and installed in your Matlab path:
- PRTools, a special version of the Pattern Recognition Toolbox prepared for the course
- DisTools, Tools for the dissimilarity representation, on top of PRTools
- PRDisData, Some dissimilarity based datasets
After that,you may first have a look at some introductory examples
or start the full course:
- Representations and generalization
- Dissimilarity Space
- Non-Euclidean embedding
- Final Words
- Brain MRI